The step aerobics that came with Wii Fit is fun, but playing the same song and pattern gets old after a while.
Stepmania is a free rhythm game for your computer. Normally it is used with a dance pad. This page takes Stepmania step files (.sm files) and generates an alternative step file which can be used to create step-aerobics style step patterns to be used with the Wii Balance Board.
The pattern is randomly generated from a set of predetermined stepping patterns, so the result is always steppable. If you don't like the flow, or want to change things up, you can generate a new step file.
To get this to all work, you will need to:
- Have a Wii Balance Board, which comes with Wii Fit.
- Get a bluetooth adapter for your computer if you don't already have one, like one of these. I've had good luck with ones using BlueSoleil software.
- Download GlovePie.
- Install Stepmania, and download and install some songs from their site.
- Open up the song's directory, and rename the original .sm file with a .bak extension.
- Upload the .bak file from a song below (or the .sm file if you don't mind overwriting it).
- Click Go, and save the output .sm file into the song directory.
- Download the and unzip the image pack into the song folder.
- Connect your Balance Board to your PC via Bluetooth. If you don't know how to do this, try this tutorial, but press the red sync button on the Balance Board (inside battery compartment) at Step 3.
- Optionally connect a wiimote to your PC via Bluetooth.
- Load up this script in GlovePIE.
- Start up the script, and step on and off the Balance Board a few times to calibrate it.
- Start up Stepmania, select the song(s) you processed, and start stepping. There's no scrolling feet like Wii Fit, but an image will display showing the steps to follow.
*Cardio boxing is a work in progress. Punch left (nunchuck) on down arrow; punch right (wiimote) on up arrow. Step on balance board for left/right arrows
Comments? Suggestions? dlippman[at]imathas[dot]com.
Want to modify this Creator? Download. GPL Licensed.